Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fruitcake and cheese

I've always been slightly resistant to the idea of serving fruitcake with cheese but it's a long-established British tradition. And if you're happy to eat dried fruits with cheese it's illogical not to, really.

Of course it depends on the cheese. I certainly wouldn't enjoy a washed rind cheese like a Munster or a Stinking Bishop with a piece of cake but a mild hard English cheese like Wensleydale or Cheshire goes rather well. Or a creamy Stilton.

Anyway I'm coming round. The other day I picked up a cake from a West Country producer called Marshfield Bakery. It looked rather dry but was actually quite moist with a pronounced mixed spice flavour. It worked really well with a piece of Gorwydd Caerphilly which had quite a buttery taste. It's called a Maggie Ramage cake if you want to try it and you can order it from Real Food Direct or buy it, as I did, from a West Country branch of Waitrose.

A nice little tea-time treat

5 comments:

Fitness Foodie said...

Absolutely! Cheese with fruit is the best and pretty much a staple of mine.

Fiona Beckett said...

Good with fruity drinks too, parker. Ever tried a raspberry beer with a Brie?

Lori Lynn said...

Sounds like a great idea. I am going to keep my eye out for a really good moist fruitcake, and pair it with some cheeses at my next dinner party, and do a tasting of sorts, see what works best.

Fiona Beckett said...

Serve them a small glass of tawny port or eloroso sherry with it, Lori! Like the idea of your parmesan sage crumbs btw!

Richard Bohnet said...

It is delicious. A few years ago I remember buying some cheese, I think it was cheddar, which had been mixed with fruit cake and re-pressed. Can't find it anywhere now. Can anybody help me here? I know Unigate were experimenting with it when I worked in at heir cheese factory in Wales. Richard.