Sunday, April 25, 2010

Androuet comes to London


I was wandering through Spitalfields market yesterday when I came across a smart-looking cheese shop - the first London outpost of the famous Parisien fromagerie Androuet. It's pretty small with a mixture of French and European cheeses, supplied by Androuet and English ones, sourced through Paxton and Whitfield with whom they appear to be in partnership.

There's a chic little wine and cheese bar at the back where they're already offering cheese plates and apparently plan to offer classic cheese dishes like raclette and fondue shortly.

I didn't have time to browse but managed to pick up a cheese I hadn't tasted: a delicious Swiss cheese called Bergblumenkase or Bergblume which I discover is rolled in alpine herbs. It's quite similar to a Gruyère in texture but much richer and fuller in flavour. I suspect it would go best with a crisp fruity white wine but it rubbed along fine with the modest Cabardes we were drinking last night.

I'll go back and try the hot dishes which I hope are better than those at L'Art du Fromage, the cheese-focussed restaurant I reviewed a few weeks back. It certainly looks a much more contemporary joint and has the virtue of being in a rather more accessible location.

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Scandilicious said...

Love Androuet, used to go to one near a friend's flat in the 16th arrondisement in Paris. Such great cheese :)

Anonymous said...

love it there. the cheese is amazing
and the food is really out of this world.... As for the staff the most friendly ,knowledgeable , professional, and charming people you could hope too meet well worth a visit...

Bill Pearson said...

It's a great shop, have you tried the Boulette d'Avesnes?