Sunday, November 28, 2010

Knaafeh: a most unusual cheesecake


The other cheesy highlight of my trip to the Lebanon was a wickedly delicious dish called Knaafeh which is commonly served for breakfast. It’s a bit like a cheesecake based on a rubbed pastry called mafrookeh and topped with a stringy cheese which tastes like mozzarella.

It is generally served with a syrup made from orange flower water and sometimes in sesame bread which would obviously add a fair bit to the calorific overload.


The pictures are of one we tasted in Patisserie Douaihy in the Place Sassine, a really friendly pastry shop and café.

I was planning to try and make it when I got back but having studied this recipe from Anissa Helou, a food writer who leads trips to the Lebanon, I can see it’s not that straightforward - unless you can order the pastry from a Lebanese shop. I may just have to head back to Beirut . . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

looks a bit scary to me... did it taste good? was it sweet?

Fiona Beckett said...

Really delicious. Melty, almost pizza like inside (tho' obviously not with the tomato sauce), sweetish crumb. Just a gorgeous texture.