Monday, September 22, 2008

Eating Raclette in Abergavenny

Yesterday we went off to the Abergavenny Food Festival. A great day - the weather was glorious - but a bit disappointing on the cheese front. I was hoping to discover a few new Welsh cheeses but most of them seemed to be flavoured with apricot brandy, ginger or other weird stuff.

The saving grace was a fantastic stand which was run by Trethowan Dairy which ironically has a stall in St Nicholas Market where I live in Bristol. They were serving some brilliant toasties made with sourdough and their own Gorwydd Caerphilly but, better still, little takeaway cartons of Raclette: cooked new potatoes, sprinkled with cheese and grilled on a contact grill then smothered with Raclette which had been melted on a purpose-built toaster then scraped onto the potatoes (above). If one were being picky, which I wasn’t inclined to be, the potatoes were a touch on the floury side (smaller, waxier ones would have been better) but who can quarrel with crispy and melted cheese in a single dish? Not me.

2 comments:

Fiona Beckett said...

A friend just told me that Trethowan are now offering the Raclette at the Slow Food market in Bristol.

Lori Lynn said...

Hi Fiona! I saw your blog listed on the Foodie blogroll. I have your book! A couple years ago I took a farmstead cheesemakers course at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. I love cheese.

So I took out your book, and am excited to try some of your recipes here. I am liking the idea of char-grilled cheese. Would you serve it with something other than pasta?

Lori Lynn